Better late than never, right? I got to mid-June and realized that I still needed to do my post for May and basically decided to combine them. May was pretty slow and basically nothing happened anyway, so if I add in June there are more stories to tell. 🙂
So May was kinda cool, I celebrated my birthday and was able to have some friends over to hang out in the backyard with me. We played Heads Up! and ate cupcakes and it was overall very fun. I’ve gotten to see my friends a lot more and reconnect and do a ton of activities outside so that’s a big yay!
Recently my friends and I have been hammocking a ton with our lovely Eno hammocks. We bike on some of the trails in town and then go off the trail and into the woods and usually get eaten alive by mosquitoes, but it’s all in good fun. We just have to remember to take bug spray.
Quarantine is pretty much coming to a close in Alaska. Our state reopened so we can go to restaurants, shops, and pretty soon, church. My family in general still isn’t eating out (unless it’s something like pizza) or doing shared food which is slightly awkward at barbecues but oh well. Unfortunately, a lot of cities have had to mandate masks because literally NO ONE wears them so that’s blown up and sparked a ton of debates in my state. At least we can be safe inside now.
My family decided to have me and my brother stop going to youth group though, because a lot of people at my church are way too comfortable getting way too close to other people. That’s really sad to me because now I can’t hang out with my friends at my youth group or help out with the younger kids at our middle school youth group. But I’d rather be safe than sorry, you know?
Ski training continues! I’m hiking, downhill biking, doing core exercises, and rollerskiing to prep for swim and ski season. (That reminds me, today is interval day 😉 I think all of my training is really paying off and I feel a lot stronger . . . plus when I flex in the mirror I actually look kind of muscular . . . don’t tell anyone. 😂 I went rollerskiing with a few guy friends the other day and one of them got their pole stuck in a storm drain and it snapped in half . . . so stuff like that happens. Oops.
– Storytime 😬
My brother and dad and I are very into downhill mountain biking and we go all the time. For a while, we were going around five nights a week. About four weeks ago, my dad sent it a little too hard on a jump and the back of his bike hit him from behind and he went down really hard. I was right behind him, so I braked really hard, almost running into him, and helped him pull his bike off the trail. Later that night, at around midnight, I heard this huge crash from upstairs and I got out of bed. Turns out, my dad had a HUGE bruise on his lower stomach and the blood had drained out of his head and to his stomach, causing him to pass out. What worse is he pulled my mom’s dresser on top of himself as he fell, and it was on half of his body. My mom called 911 and eight paramedics showed up at our house with an ambulance and two fire trucks. It was extremely scary, but my dad didn’t need surgery or anything. And now he’s back to biking, although he has to go kind of slow and be careful.
So that was our excitement for June!
– The good stuff
- I went camping with one of my friends and her family and my family the other week and it was super nice to not have to social distance with them as much . . . their family is super careful like ours so we’re more comfortable around each other 🙂
- The weather has been amazing, it hit 75 on the Fourth of July!
- Speaking of the Fourth, I had a massive food coma . . .
- We did do takeout for something other than pizza for Father’s Day – we got Thai food, and it was DELICIOUS after four months of not eating it (although the time before that I got food poisoning, so it was a nice little break, lol)
- We sold our old minivan and now my Subaru has an actual parking spot in the driveway 😂
- I redid the photo light string in my room, the one you can check out in this post, with updated pictures of this last school year!
- I GOT CHACOS FOR MY BIRTHDAY (those are shoes, by the way, lol)
– May / June favorites
What I’ve been listening to:
- “Summer Feelings” by Lennon Stella ft. Charlie Puth
- “Miracles” by Colton Dixon
- “Worth It” by Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink
- “Savage Love” by Jason Derulo
- all of Gabby Barrett’s album, “Goldmine”
Shows I’ve been binging:
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Outer Banks
- Dead to Me
Books I’ve been reading:
- the Scythe series by Neal Shustermann
- re-reading the Caraval series by Stephanie Garber
- Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson
- not a ton of reading this month, unfortunately . . .
That’s about it for May and June! I hope everyone in the US had an amazing Fourth of July!
How’s everyone’s summer going? Are your quarantine restrictions lifting? How was your Fourth of July?